Who doesn’t know about our very friendly Betta fish? It has attractive colors and is also called Siamese Fighting Fish. It is a great primary pet. The Betta fish need some specific dietary and nutritional necessities for any pet which keeps them fit and happy. One of the significant questions a person can ask when buying Betta fish for them is, “Can Betta Fish eat human food?” Well, it is quite a good question to ask and we will discuss if betta fish can eat human food and what can betta fish eat of human food. So let’s get started.
Can Betta Fish Eat Human Food?
You will love feeding your Betta fish daily-based fish food most of the time. However, But have you ever tried giving them human food? By human food, I mean things like fruits, vegetables, and meats, not the standard fish pellets.
So can we feed Betta fish human food? The answer is pretty much YES, for example, some foods grown from the ground and meats as well. One thing you should note here is that you shouldn’t make this an everyday practice. This means that you need to be consistent with the fish pellets regularly. However, your Bettas may perform well by consuming human foods too.
Why We Feed Human Food to Betta Fish?
There are two causes why you may feed your betta fish human food:
- You have no fish food at the moment
- You may offer your fish human food to save your money
The primary reason can happen to you anytime. If you don’t have enough time to purchase fish food, then you can give some human food to your Betta fish.
The second reason is to save your money. Indeed, everyone wants to save money. But is it genuinely worth saving a couple of dollars here and there?
If you’ve decided to be committed to keeping your Betta happy, you will probably want to spend the money to purchase its appropriate food.
What Food Does Betta Fish Generally Eat?
To answer this question, first, you need to think about the living conditions of Bettas in the wild. Betta fish remain in the water therefore; they will eat water creates. They are also carnivores, so they will tend to eat meats. Here are some types of meats that they will love to eat in the wild:
- Fruit flies
- Water flies
- Other small fishes
A diet having such kinds of meats is ideal for a Betta fish. Good sources of food for your fish are Fish pellets and robust meats as they offer all the essential nutrients that your fish needs.
What Can Betta Fish Eat of Human Food?
When we talk about human food, the majority of our foods are not appropriate for feeding Betta fish. You can exclude any type of processed food such as salami or bologna. Different chemical substances and preservatives will not provide your Betta fish any essential nutrients and can make them severely sick.
There are some of the human foods that you can offer your Betta fish that are given below.
- Betta fish can consume boiled peas having no shell. Keep in mind to remove the skin before feeding because it is very difficult for them to digest. Many boiled peas help in relieving digestion problems of your Betta fish.
- Cucumber, as well as, lettuce, are also excellent sources of food. They contain a lot of vitamins, and Betta fish can easily digest them. Don’t provide them plenty of these things and make sure to cut them into small pieces.
- Some boiled or cooked spinach also provide nutrients. A few Betta fish don’t like it, but others do. Tastes matter here. First, you need to lightly cook it as it can be difficult for your Betta fish to digest.
- Betta fish will love to eat some boiled seeds of maize, which is also a rich source of energy. Make sure that maize doesn’t have all essential nutrients; therefore, it can be given to Betta fish as an irregular treat.
- Small quantities of meats such as beef, chicken, and pig meat can be given to Betta fish. Nowadays, most individuals are against this as it is unusual for a water-loving creature to consume a land-based diet. However, it is not such harmful. Keep in mind to boil the meat first and add ultimately no spices. The only disadvantage of providing meat is that it is frequently made with some antibiotics and steroids, which are possibly not so beneficial for Betta fish to eat.
- They will also eat some fish pieces and different types of seafood. Small pieces of shrimp, oysters, scallops, and other creatures are also good sources, no doubt. The benefit here is that these foods are gained from animals. It means that you can precisely substitute their food with such meats.
- On the other hand, if you are offering your Betta fish canned tuna, keep in mind that it is not packed in fat or oil. Fat-based food is not a good idea for your Betta fish, and it doesn’t help in relation to water quality.
- Never feed any kind of citrus fruits to your Betta fish. Their digestive system can’t control the acidity.
- However, you can feed Bettas a small piece of an unsalted biscuit once in a while; it is not suggested because of additives.
- You can give them a very little piece of mango only once in a while. It is essential that if the mango is not used within half an hour, then it should be removed from their tank; otherwise, they can die. Mango is a frailty to Bettas but can be deadly to the water tank if left for a longer period.
Tips For Feeding Betta Fishes Human Food:
Here are some tips to aid you in providing your Betta fish human foods.
- It’s not important what type of food you are giving your Betta fish; keep in mind that you don’t have bulk food to feed them a lot. They are small, and they can’t simply take so much food. Feeding a lot of food is a common way your Betta fish gets sick.
- Monitor how much amount of food you are feeding your Betta fish. In this way, you can realize either you are overfeeding your Betta fish or not. You can record the eating behaviors of your fish for some days to know how they manage to eat the food.
- You can easily guess if you have overstuffed your fish if they look bloated or tired. If you feed them and they don’t get right away, this might be an indication that they are not feeling good or they have had excessive food to eat.
- There are many excellent resources available online to help you know about your Betta fish. All fishes don’t have the same behavior. Some possess different tones than others, so don’t get shocked if your fish is performing differently.
- Keep in mind to feed your Betta fish around 80% to 90% animal-based foods. They are called carnivores and you should not give them too many plant-based foods.
- You should have a proper feeding plan for your Betta fish. Feed your Betta fish twice a day at an interval of 12 hours. In other words, give food to your Betta fish at 8 am and then at 8 pm. The time is not as significant as keeping an exact schedule.
What Human Foods NOT to Feed Your Betta Fish:
This list could be infinite since there are many human foods not to feed Bettas than there is to feed them.
Bread comprises no nutritional importance for your Betta fish.
There is myth setting Bettas in a lovely container along with a rooted plant and supposing them to rely on the roots. As you know that they are carnivores, and you also know that they will die in a few weeks because of starvation and lack of nutrients like protein.
Fibrous, chewy vegetables and some fruits:
It comprises carrots, beans, as well as bananas.
Citrus fruits will decrease the pH of the water tank and enhance the acidic nature of the water present inside the tank.
Think about what kind of meat your Betta fish would encounter in their natural atmosphere. Whenever a chicken or cattle fall into the water, so your fish will not be going to consume it. Bacon is not considered harmless meat to give your betta fish generally as it is treated with additives.
So, it is the type of two-sided situation. Betta fish can consume some human foods, but cannot consume all of them. It is better to know what can betta fish eat of human food before feeding Bettas. However, they should not eat a lot of them. When we learn about the digestive system, essential nutrients, and regular commercial foods of Betta fish, we can better know what kinds of human foods are suitable to offer them occasionally.